Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Not This Pig--Alec Martin


Alec Martin


“Turner himself joined the rush he had created launching his second network, and cable news networks, in 1980 on which is popular fame rest.(Page 212)”

            The biggest thing that bothers me is how people can be bought out with money, although it sounds cliché to say that but it’s so true. Ted Turner was a man who was against many things and was a great innovator, by creating the first cable network available on basic cable throughout the country. As this was growing across the country more and more companies joined in two basic cable, such as news networks and the learning channel. That’s when Turner decided to create a second network cable news, even though he said “I hate the news. News is evil. It makes people feel bad.” Even though he feels that way about the news he still sold out his own beliefs for more money and control.

4 comments:

  1. I also found it weird that he makes that comment about hating the news, yet buys a new company. It's all about the money

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty bad, that Turner would go against his own beliefs just to gain control. It the businesses that stand for something that you actually want to support. Not the ones that will do anything to get ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very common problem. I think to often people put money ahead of their own happiness and beliefs. I told my friends dad once that I was think I might want to be a teacher when I grow up, and he laughed at me and asked why I would want to do something that makes so little money. I told him it sounds like something I enjoy and he told me that he hates his job every day, but that it's worth it because he has a nice house, two cars, and a fancy motorcylce. I don't think that that is the right way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes he did sell himself out which does cause conflict all across the board.

    ReplyDelete